Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"When Life Hands You Rotten Bananas"

I went to the small neighborhood market today to pick up some milk and eggs and after I had paid, the owner told me that he was going to give me these bananas. Give me, as in FREE!

No, they aren't really rotten, just over-ripe, and I like to keep snack size bags of these in the freezer to use in smoothies so I said thank you and gladly took them.

During the bike ride home, I thought, "Hmmm, time to try out the new mini muffin pans!" So decided to use a few of the better bananas to make a batch of mini muffins.

First thing I had to do was look online to see how to adapt the cooking time for the minis. I always make regular muffins, but now that I am trying (again"sigh" ) to lose weight, thought it might be good to downsize things for a bit. I also thought it eould be the perfect time to create the very first post on this blog. So here it is, I hope you enjoy it!

 Double Chocolate Banana Nut Mini Muffins.

Preheat oven to 350*, spray or grease muffin pans, makes 48 mini muffins
DRY INGREDIENTS, plus chopped walnuts and chocolate chips
    • 2 cups flour
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1 cup chopped walnuts
    • 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips (I didn't have the mini ones, so I chopped up some regular sized ones)    
WET INGREDIENTS
  • 1-1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 medium ones)
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
MIX DRY INGREDIENTS (NOT the nuts and chocolate chips!)

ADD WET INGREDIENTS AND MIX UNTIL BLENDED

MIX IN THE NUTS AND CHOCOLATE CHIPS

SPOON BATTER INTO PREPARED PANS, AS YOU CAN SEE I FILLED THEM ALMOST ALL THE WAY.

BAKE UNTIL TOOTHPICK COMES OUT CLEAN, BETWEEN 10-15 MINS (but check often after 10 mins) MINE TOOK 12 MINS.
THE END RESULT...48 DELICIOUS BITE SIZE MUFFINS!  (minus a few samples for the cook..lol)


These tiny muffins are packed full of chocolatey banana flavor and bursting with nuts and chocolate chips. If you try the recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know if you love them as much as my family does!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for checking this out for me :-) You can't fool me though I recognize your photo and know who you are..lol

      Delete
  2. They sound yummy! Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Barb :-) I hope you give them a try! I was hoping the smaller size would be better for the diet..but doubt it will help if I eat 4-5 at a time..LOL

      Delete